This Is How Long You Should Sleep According To Your Age
Everyone is aware that sleep and rest are extremely important for our health as well as our development. That is why there are different recommendations by experts who give advice for the sleeping habits and sleep duration as well.
The National Sleep Foundation said that the sleeping time can be determined by our age and how much time should we sleep in order to get the energy we need. This also helps for mental clarity and maximum health.
Sleeping problems can happen because of nowadays modern technology and stress as well. If you are stressed out you will have increased coritsol production. Cortisol is the stress hormone and if it is high it can cause sleeping restlessness, discomfort and sickness.
Modern technology has a bad influence as well as it stops our brain from releasing melatonin and the reason is because the human body can produce hormones in the dark.
These problems will eventually be the reason for physical tiredness, not being able to think clearly or make decisions and not being able to concentrate. In the end it can be the reason for losing appetite and cause different health problems as well.
That is the reason why it is very important to have enough sleep and this will help you to prevent additional health problems. This means that if you sleep less than 5 hours you can have serious consequences over your heart health, and if you sleep less than 7 hours you can gain more weight, diabetes or obesity.
That is why it is important to see and check the recommended sleeping time according to your age.
Charles Czeisler from the Harvard University made one research with a team of experts. There were different studies starting from 2004 – 2014 and they were made in order to see and learn the effects and how sleep can affect our health.
They made the following conclusions which you should rely on:
– Newborn (0 – 3 months) should get 14 – 17 hours of sleep.
– Babies (4 – 11 months) should get 12 – 15 hours of sleep.
– Child (1 – 2 years) should get from 11 – 14 hours of sleep.
– Preschool (3 – 5 years) should get 10 to 13 hours of sleep.
– School Age (6 – 13 years) should get 9 to 11 hours of sleep.
– Teens (14 – 17 years) should get from 8 to 10 hours of sleep.
– Youth (18 – 25 years) should get 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
– Adults (26 – 64 years) should get 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
– Senior (older than 65 years) should get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
That was the optimal times for sleeping. However, every person and organism is different, which means that everyone should get different sleeping hours.
However, you should note that sleep and rest are extremely important and lack of them can be the reason for different health problems.
Additionally there are different tips and tricks that can help you to have a better sleep and rest.
1. Have a sleeping schedule – it is recommended to have a proper time of falling asleep and waking up. It is important to go to bed and wake up at the same time and be consistent. If you have problem to fall asleep in the first 20 minutes, go and try to do something that will relax you.
2. Eat and drink the good stuff – it is important not to go to bed stuffed or hungry. Do not have heavy meals before going to bed, because you will feel discomfort. Choose your meals and drink wisely.
3. Have a restful environment – the room you will sleep has to be cooled down, quiet and dark. It could be more difficult to fall asleep if the room is light. You should practice techniques that can relax you.
4. Do not sleep a lot during day time – the ideal time for lap is nearly 30 minutes. Limit this time and you won’t have problems during night.
5. Be physically active – it can help you to promote your sleep and do not do it very close to bedtime.
6. Manage worries – it is important not to worry or think about problems before going to bed as this will impede your sleep.