6 Leftovers That No One Should Ever Eat
We love to reheat leftovers and eat them. However, according to the health experts, reheating of leftovers may be very harmful and may damage our overall health. For this reason, we should avoid eating these 6 reheated foods:
1. Vegetable oil
Reheating food that has been prepared with vegetable oil may be very harmful for our overall health, as it greatly increases the risk of experiencing heart disease, stroke and cancer. When we reheat polyunsaturated oil, which contains linoleic acid (canola oil, sunflower oil and corn oil, it releases 4-hydroxy-trans-2-nonenal (HNE), a fatty acid toxin that may damage our health. In addition, it has also been related to Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, heart disease, liver issues and even cancer. You should use vegetable oil only once and you should never reheat it.
Improper storing or reheating vegetables can be deadly. According to the Center for Food Safety, we should store vegetable leftovers at – 4⁰ C, or if we need to store them for a long period of time, it is best to freeze them.
Spinach, beets, carrots, lettuce, and celery contain a high level of nitrates if they are stored at a room temperature. The nitrate amounts can lead to methemoglobinemia, a blood disorder common in children, which is characterized with symptoms, like shortness of breath, fatigue and seizures.
If you want to be healthy, you should store the rice properly. The Food Standard Agency considers that the uncooked rice contains numerous harmful bacteria, which survive the cooking process. In addition, if the rice is kept at a room temperature, the bacteria multiply and lead to numerous digestive issues. Moreover, these bacteria can survive the reheating, too. For this reason, you should eat rice at once. It is better to freeze the rice leftovers than to store them in the fridge.
Chicken is loaded with protein and if it reheated, it becomes much more harmful. It is allowed to reheat cold chicken that is hot inside. The chicken meat should be consumed for up to 2 days.
Mushrooms should be consumed only after their preparation. When you cut them, the proteins found in mushrooms may deteriorate, which may lead to stomach problems.
If you keep potatoes at a room temperature, they may become very harmful for the overall health. In fact, the room temperature may also promote botulism growth, very rare bacteria.
Here are a few tips on how to store leftovers properly:
• You should never keep the leftovers in the fridge for more than 2 days
• You should store meat products and meat separately from raw food. Make sure you cover the meat products and keep them on a separate rack in the fridge.
• Make sure you reheat food up to 70⁰ C before eating it.
• You should not consume food that has been refrigerated foe a long period of time.