11 Tips On How To Lose Belly Fat After Menopause
After menopause, all women try hard to return in the shape. During menopause women lose estrogen, they gain fat and cannot regulate their weight. Slim women also face up with the same issue. As the levels of estrogen lower, they gain weight, too.
Nevertheless, men face up the same problem, even though their issue is known as ‘beer belly’. Unlike women, the levels of testosterone in men lower, and they gain weight, particularly in the stomach.
It is necessary to lose fat in order to be healthy. In addition, it might also lead to myocardial infractions, diabetes, inflammatory issues and high levels of cholesterol.
WHAT CAUSES WEIGHT GAIN AFTER MENOPAUSE?
Diets and regular workouts have proven as inefficient in burning stomach fat. Moreover, it is more likely that women will lose weight more often than men. When the levels of estrogen decrease, the fat from the all parts of the body moves to the stomach.
However, the decrease of testosterone in men leads to weight gain. Moreover, stress is another contributor to weight gain. Studies have also shown that cortisol secretion is related to weight gain and stress.
Some factors, which contribute to weight gain after menopause include:
• Increased resistance to insulin: As women get older, they become resistant to insulin, which makes losing weight hard.
• Poor sleep quality: During menopause women experience sleeping difficulties and poor sleep quality is related to weight gain.
• Loss of muscle mass: As we get older, we face decreased physical activity and hormonal changes, which lead to muscle mass loss.
• Hormone imbalances: Increased and decreased levels of estrogen lead to high fat storage in the stomach. This in turn increases the risk of heart diseases, diabetes type 2 and metabolic syndrome.
HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT?
INCLUDE CHANGES IN THE DIET
All you have to do is to introduce a few changes in the diet. First of all, include olives, avocadoes, coconut oil and salmon in your diet. Researches have shown that people, who consumed 5 ounces of salmon per week, lost 2.2 pounds. Avoid unhealthy and processed food and include more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
The levels of insulin and cortisol increase after the menopause. When the levels if insulin are increase, fat in the stomach is increased, too. When you wake up take apple cedar vinegar in order to enhance your metabolism.
If you want to lose weight, you should cut calories, because after menopause the number of calories that a women burns are decreased.
However, low-calorie diets in the long term may lead to loss of muscle mass and decreased metabolic rate. In addition, insufficient intake of calories and low muscle mass may cause bone loss. This in turn increases the risk of experiencing osteoporosis.
According to the studies, if you want to lose weight, dietary restraint rather than restraint drastically may be beneficial for you.
HOW EXERCISE HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT?
Exercises are very important before and after menopause. They can enhance mood, protect bones and muscles and provide a healthy weight.
Resistance training with bands and weights can be very effective at maintaining and increasing muscle mass that decreases with age and hormonal changes.
Aerobic cardio exercises are also beneficial for women in menopause. They can help them lower stomach fat and maintain muscle mass, but lose weight.
However, for better results, it is recommended to mix aerobic exercise and strength training.
ADDITIONAL TIPS TO LOSE WEIGHT
There are a few ways to improve life quality and lose weight after menopause:
• Take a rest and improve your sleep quality
• Acupuncture and psychotherapy treat insomnia, sooth symptoms of decreased estrogen and promote sleep quality
• Get rid of stress: It is considered that yoga efficiently reduces stress and soothes symptoms during menopause.
• Eat a lot of protein: It keeps you satiated and full, as it enhances metabolic rate and stimulates weight loss.
• Consume a lot of dairy products: Dairy products will help you lose fat, but maintain muscle mass.
• Consume food loaded with soluble fiber: Food rich in fiber, like flaxseed, broccoli, avocadoes and Brussels sprouts, will increase sensitivity to insulin, lower appetite and promote weight loss.
• Drink plenty of green tea: EGCG and caffeine in green tea will help you burn fat.
• Take up mindful eating: It will help you lower stress and consume less food.
References: Health Line