Here’s How To Eliminate Bunions Naturally And Without Surgery
Do you suffer from bunions? Have you heard that surgery was not the only option to sooth pain and eliminate bunions?
Have you heard that a bunion comes from the Greek term for turnip? When you learn more about bunions, you will realize their connection.
A bunion, or hallux valgus, represents an abnormal bony growth on the feet, which leads to joint of the big toe base to become stick out and enlarged. It may also occur on the pinky toe, which is known as a tailor’s bunion or a bunionette.
Both women and men experience bunions even though women are more prone to them, because they wear constricting and high-heeled shoes. In addition, if the bunion constantly rubs against the shoes, it may also cause calluses and corns.
CAUSES OF BUNIONS
There are numerous factors that lead to bunion development. Some of them are:
• Tight or high-heeled shoes, which keep the toes bent inward and add additional strain on the joints.
• An injury may cause the big toe to be pushed inward to the other toes.
• Genetics. If a member of your family suffers from bunions, you may have inherited it.
• Feet deformity at birth.
• Gout or rheumatoid arthritis affects the toe joints, particularly the joint of the big toes.
• Neuromuscular conditions, like Marfan syndrome or cerebral palsy, which reduce muscle tone and cause inflexible toe joints.
• Uneven legs. If your leg is longer than the other, you may get bunion on the longer one.
• Poor form while exercising, running, walking, like excessive feet pronation.
• Overusing the feet
• Osteoarthritis causes bone spurs on the toes.
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS OF BUNIONS
The first symptom of a bunion is a big bump jutting out from the big toes base, which pushes the big toe inward towards the other toes. Even though it is difficult to notice a bunion, you should be aware of its symptoms, as they will help you to detect it in an early stage and take adequate measures. Here are some of the most common symptoms:
• Swelling at the big toe base.
• A bony bump at the big toe base.
• Tenderness and pain in the joint of the big toe when exercising or waling.
• Formation of calluses or corns over the bunion.
• Visible movement of the big toe inward to the other toes.
• Toe inflexibility.
• Change in the foot structure, which will make it difficult to wear shoes.
HOW TO PREVENT BUNIONS?
Here are some ways which will help you prevent bunions:
• If you have a member in your family, who suffered from bunion, you should consult a podiatrist at an early age in order to prevent the development of bunions.
• Wear comfortable shoes in order to avoid pressure on the big toes.
• A healthy weight can help you prevent the development of bunions.
• Wear arch supports or supportive shoes in order to prevent additional strain on the big toes while exercising or walking.
NATURAL HOME-MADE REMEDIES FOR TREATING BUNIONS
If you notice bunions at their early stage, you can treat them with natural remedies. However, if it is in its advanced stages, you may need to undergo surgery in order to get rid of the bunion.
In this article, we are going to present you a few natural remedies used for preventing toe bunions.
Some exercises, in combination with oil massage, can help you restore the toe flexibility and decrease the bunion size. If you do these exercises on a regular basis, you will strengthen the muscles and prevent the development of bunions.
• Put a thick elastic band on both big toes.
• Turn the feet outward until you feel the stretch in the toes.
• Hold it for a minute and then relax your toes.
• Repeat this exercise for about 15 minutes twice per day.
• Arch the feet balls upwards and press your toes against something hard for 10 seconds.
• Put them in the opposite direction and keep it for 10 seconds, too.
• Repeat this exercise 3 – 4 times, a few times a day.
• Sit down and cup the feet sole in your palm.
• Put your fingers among the toes, and move the toes forth and back for 5 – 10 minutes.
• Repeat this exercise a few times a day.
• Sit down and put a golf or tennis ball under your foot.
• Role the ball forth and back, particularly under the toe mounds.
• Repeat this exercise 5 – 10 times on a daily basis.
2. Oil massage
Massaging your toes and feet, particularly the area around the bunions will help you enhance circulation and blood flow in the inflamed joint, thus reducing bunion size. In addition, massage may help the synovial fluid to move round the joint and dissolve the excess of calcium gathered in the bunion, thus reducing its size.
You can use olive oil, Castrol oil or coconut oil for feet and toe massage. Before massaging your feet and toes, drink a glass of water, so that your body gets hydrated and enhances blood flow.
Toe oil massage
• Apply warm coconut oil or olive oil on the affected place.
• Press it and massage the affected place in a straight line.
• Massage the big toe base and the bunion for 10 minutes twice per day.
• After two days, you will notice the results and after a week, you will notice the changes. In order to get rid of the bunion thoroughly, use this natural remedy for a month.
3. Castrol oil
Due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, Castrol oil can help you get rid of bunions. In order to sooth the pain, you should massage the bunion with Castrol oil. Massaging the bunions on a regular basis will help you to reduce their size.
Castrol oil massage
• Warm up the Castrol oil.
• Apply it on the bunion and massage gently for about 10 – 20 minutes. Moreover, you can soak a cotton ball in Castrol oil and apply it on the bunion. Fix the ball with a bandage and jet it stay for 20 minutes.
• In addition, use Castrol oil to massage big toe base in order to enhance circulation.
• Repeat this remedy twice a day, and you will see the results after 2 weeks. You will get rid of bunions within 2 months.
Turmeric contains curcumin, an anti-inflammatory compound. You can consume turmeric orally or topically in order to reduce inflammation and to get rid of the pain caused by the bunion.
You will need these ingredients:
• 1 teaspoon of olive oil – it improves circulation
• ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder – it has anti-inflammatory properties.
Add olive oil and turmeric powder in a bowl
• In a bowl, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
• Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, too.
Mix them well and apply the paste on the bunion 2 -3 times per day
• Mix the ingredients well.
• Apply the mixture directly on the bunions.
• Let it stay for 20 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
• Repeat this remedy 2 – 3 times a day for 4 – 6 weeks.
In a glass of warm water or milk, you can also add a teaspoon of turmeric and drink it twice per day until the bunion fades away.
5. Red pepper
Red pepper is rich in capsaicin, a substance that gets rid of the nerves of the compounds that lead to discomfort and pain. Cut one red pepper in half and rub it directly on the bunion. Apply a bit of petroleum jelly on it and tie a gauze or clean cloth over it.
Repeat this remedy twice a day. Before applying red pepper on the bunion, apply it on a small area in order to be sure that it does not irritate your skin. After applying red pepper, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly.
• Bunions often come together with corns and calluses. In order to sooth the pin, you can soak the feet in Epsom salt bath.
• Avoid activities, which require you to wear constrictive shoes, such as ballet dancing.
• Apply bunion pads in the top of the bunions while wearing shoes in order to reduce friction.
• Apply an ice compress on the affected area to sooth pain in the bunions. However, do not apply the ice compress directly on the skin; always wrap it on a towel. In addition, you can also use a gel ice pack.