11 Ways To Get Rid Of Bad Breath Naturally
Halitosis, or chronic bad breath, is odor that emanates from the mouth. Even though it does not represent a medical issue, nearly 30 % of the world’s population has halitosis.
CAUSES OF BAD BREATH
There are numerous causes of bad breath even though most of them come from poor dental hygiene. Some of the most common causes of bad breath include:
• Poor oral hygiene
• Dental cavities
• A yellow or white-coated tongue, caused by inflammation
• Gum disease
• Crash diets
The gum disease creates a lot of bacteria in the mouth, either on the tongue, in the pockets or under the gumline. These bacteria produce sulfurous smells in the mouth.
Other causes of bad breath are:
• Uncontrolled diabetes
• Dry mouth
• Infections, like sinusitis or sore throat
• Intestinal disorders, like ulcers and heartburn
• Lactose intolerance
• Chronic conditions, like kidney and liver disease or gastric reflux.
• Mouth and nose infections
Bad breath can also be caused by food and drink, like onion, garlic, alcohol and coffee. Cigarettes and tobacco contribute to bad breath, too.
11 WAYS TO PREVENT BAD BREATH
Here are some ways which will help you prevent bad breath naturally:
1. Drink a lot of water and swish water in the mouth. It will help you freshen the morning breath.
2. Brush your teeth after every meal, or at least two times a day.
3. In case, you wear teeth dentures, remove them before going to bed and clean the bacterial build-up from drink and food.
4. Change the toothbrush at every 2 – 3 months.
5. Go to regular dental cleanings and checkups.
6. Chew one handful of aniseeds, fennel seeds and cloves. Due to their antiseptic qualities, they will help you get rid of bacteria that cause halitosis.
7. Scrape the tongue in the morning with a spoon or tongue scraper to eliminate fungi, bacteria and dead cells, which lead to odor in the mouth.
8. Chew a piece of orange or lemon rind to prevent bad breath. They contain citric acid, which stimulates the salivary glands and makes the breath fresh.
9. Rinse the mouth with alcohol-free mouthwash for half a minute. In a cup of water, add a few drops of peppermint oil and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Do not swallow the mixture.
10. Chew a sprig of cilantro, mint, basil or parsley. They contain chlorophyll that neutralizes odor.
11. You can also try this home-made remedy:
You can clean the teeth with crunchy food. Apples are rich in pectin that regulates food odor and enhance the production of saliva. Cinnamon has antibacterial properties. The active compounds in yoghurt help eliminate bacteria that cause odor in the mouth.
– You will need these ingredients:
• A cup of apple chunks
• A cup of carrots (grated)
• A cup of celery (diced)
• Half a cup of cranberries (dried)
• Half a cup of walnuts (crushed)
• 3 – 5 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
• Cinnamon (ground)
– Preparation method:
In a large bowl, mix the walnuts, cranberries, celery, carrots and apple chunks. Then, add the yoghurt. Finally, sprinkle it with cinnamon.
Reference: Medical News Today