Apply Natural VapoRub On Your Feet To Cure Cough, Cold And Much More… (Recipe)
Common cold is a contagious respiratory health condition caused by different types of viruses, like rhinovirus, adenovirus, coronavirus, influenza, respiratory syncytial virus, etc.
It is transmitted either by direct contact with infected secretion from contaminated surfaces or objects, like phones, keyboards, coffee cups or through inhaling infected airborne droplets after infected individuals sneeze or cough.
SYMPTOMS OF COMMON COLD
A sore or scratchy throat, runny nose, watery eyes, nasal congestion, fatigue and constant sneezing are the most common symptoms of cold. These symptoms in turn lead to poor sleeping quality, nasal congestion, headaches, fever and breathing difficulty.
WHEN TO CONSULT A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL?
In general, the common cold can be treated at home with over-the-counter drugs. However, if the cold remains for a few days or if you experience more severe symptoms, like high fever, shaking chills, severe headache, abdominal pain, neck stiffness, poor sleeping quality, breathing difficulties, vomiting, confusion or chest pain, you should consult a health care professional immediately.
COMMON COLD TREATMENTS
A cure for common cold does not exist. It is a self-limited health condition that will resolve with time. Medical and home treatments are prescribed for alleviating the symptoms of common cold, whereas the body itself fights the infection.
Natural remedies for common cold include drinking a lot of fluids and getting a rest. Over-the-counter drugs, like throat sprays, throat lozenges, cough syrups or cough drops might help soothe the symptoms even though they will not shorten or prevent the common cold duration. It is essential to note that some over-the-counter drugs may have side effects, so they have to be taken as directed by the health care professionals.
Moreover, some people rub VapoRub or Vicks on the chest in order to relieve the symptoms of common cold. However, Vicks are harmful for the skin. Numerous studies found that the rub causes respiratory issues, particularly in children. Moreover, they showed that the rub causes increased mucus production, which may obstruct the air passages of the users.
Commercial products, including Vicks VapoRub, are loaded with ingredients that are detrimental to the overall health. In fact, they contain petroleum, camphor, menthol, which are bad for our health.
Fortunately, in this article, we are going to show you how to prepare a natural rub to sooth the symptoms of common cold.
You will need these ingredients:
• 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (extra virgin)
• 2 drops of essential oil (lemon)
• 3 drops of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil
How to prepare it and use it:
• Put all the ingredients in a large glass jar and mix them.
• Apply the VapoRub on the chest when you feel soreness.
Other uses of VapoRub:
• Apply the rub on the forehead to sooth severe headaches
• Decongest throat and chest
• Repel mosquitoes
• Apply the rub on the chest to relieve symptoms of cough and common cold.
HOW TO PREVENT COMMON COLD?
The best preventive measure for common cold is to avoid direct contact with infected people. Moreover, other measures for preventing common cold include:
– Disinfect contaminated personal objects or surfaces. Also, do not share personal items, like towels, tissues or handkerchiefs.
– Thorough and frequent washing of the hands is essential, because this can eliminate viruses taken from touching infected surfaces or objects.
– Cover your nose while sneezing or coughing to prevent virus transmission.
– Lifestyle changes like stress management and avoiding smoking may reduce susceptibility to experiencing common cold.